Family Weekend 2017

Here’s a solo guide on how to do Family Weekend

Courtesy of Brandon Bielinski

Hit the road before Family Weekend commences and get out of the town if your family will not be visiting.

With parents and siblings filling the Syracuse University campus this Family Weekend, students who won’t be visited by relatives don’t have to miss out on doing something fun.

While students and their families will be packing the Carrier Dome on Friday and jamming into Dinosaur Bar-B-Que and Pastabilities all weekend, other students can get away from campus for a break from SU.

Get adopted for the weekend by your friends’ families, or go visit your own family and friends. Either way, this weekend doesn’t need to be filled with binge-watching Netflix and nights that end early.

If possible, go to your parents

Celebrate Family Weekend away from campus by hitting the road and heading home. Midterm season is among us, and a short break from campus could be a second wind for students to take on the rest of the semester.

“I’m going home to Long Island,” said Jeffrey Gordon, a sophomore advertising major. “I figured it’d be a nice break, especially when it will be packed.”

Whether it be a bus trip home or a road trip, going to see your parents and siblings would make Family Weekend your weekend. Plus, a home-cooked meal or a meal from your favorite neighborhood dive is a step up from dining hall food, and you won’t face the troubles of trying to find a table at Family Weekend favorites, like Modern Malt and Stella’s Diner.

Hit the links down the road

Drumlins West Course Golf (Public) is a golf course only a short five-minute drive from campus. SU and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry students can play for free with a valid student ID.

“It’s real relaxing,” said Gio Marrero, a junior biotechnology major. “It’s a good way to knock off four hours of your day, like on a Sunday.”

The course is first-come, first-served, so nobody needs a tee time, and the golf shop loans sets of clubs to students for free as well.

Grab a few friends or hit the course by yourself, and enjoy the cool, sunny weekend minutes from campus.

Go to a different city, like the Big Apple

It may be more crowded than SU’s campus, but this weekend could be the time to visit semi-close cities like New York and Boston. A bus ticket to the city this weekend runs as low as $35, which lasts about 4.5 hours.

“I’m headed to NYC and visiting a few friends,” said Ethan Avotins, a sophomore management and finance major.

If taking a bus or flying isn’t in the cards, post in your class’s Facebook group to check for students heading to other cities. There’s no better time than Family Weekend to get away from SU for a few days and explore your favorite city or one you’ve never been to.