Halloweekend Guide 2018

Here are 5 fang-tastic shows to watch for the Halloween season

While there are many reasons to enjoy the scariest time of the year, Halloween has helped shape some fantastic films and television shows. Here are just a few spine-chilling examples.

Amazon Prime

“Carrie”

The first film to be based on a Stephen King novel, “Carrie” tells the story of 16-year-old Carrie White, a bullied teenager with telekinetic powers. While dripping with 1970s cheesiness, the film is extremely engaging. Sissy Spacek is fantastic as the titular Carrie, giving a frailty for the role while also releasing her rage at the right moments. Piper Laurie is captivating as Carrie’s extremely religious and abusive mother. She may be over the top at times, but Laurie proves to be extremely entertaining and dedicated the role. This is a classic horror movie for a reason — the haunting prom scene alone is enough of a reason to check it out.

“Frankenweenie” 

Tim Burton has blessed us with two great animated Halloween films: “The Nightmare Before Christmas” and “Corpse Bride,” leaving “Frankenweenie” overlooked. A remake of one of Burton’s earlier shorts, “Frankenweenie” is the story of a young boy named Victor who brings his dead dog back to life and faces the consequences of this action. The animation is gorgeous — unsurprising coming from Burton. The movie also pays homage to classic monster films, being shot in black and white and featuring several characters named after horror film legends. Burton even adds great commentary about the importance of science and the extents of experimenting.

Hulu

“Over the Garden Wall”   

A mini-series from Cartoon Network, this show is about two brothers trying to find their way home in a dark and mysterious forest. The animated show has a peculiar but warm and fun tone that makes it fascinating to watch. The show is also doused in Halloween charm, featuring the weird, cultish town of Pumpkin People and a shadowy beast who terrorizes the forest. Along with its quirky appeal, the show boasts a fantastic voice cast, including Elijah Wood, Christopher Lloyd, John Cleese and Tim Curry.

Netflix

“Bates Motel”

This show is a product of our obsession with nostalgia. Based on Alfred Hitchcock’s classic film “Psycho,”Bates Motel” takes us through Norman Bates’ teenage years. It’s set in the modern day, before his mother becomes the iconic killer we all know. While awkward at times, the show is elevated by the acting from Freddie Highmore and Syracuse alumna Vera Farmiga as Norman and Norma Bates, respectively. The two have an odd chemistry that alludes to how Norman could one day become the classic film killer. The show is dripping with charm, featuring a perfectly remodeled Bates house.

“The Haunting of Hill House”

Netflix’s newest show has taken the streaming service by storm. Based on a novel of the same name, the show details the lives of the Crane family growing up in a famous haunted house. Torn apart by unforeseen circumstances, the family is then brought together by tragedy. The family drama is at the show’s center, discussing the difficulties of dealing with mental illness and the morals of family. While there are some jump scares, they act as an effective tool for highlighting the horrors of mental scars left on the family to frighten audiences.