Halloweekend Guide 2018

SU community to read the novel “Frankenstein” in its entirety on day of Halloween

Laura Angle | Digital Design Editor

This Halloween, Syracuse University community members can celebrate the 200th birthday of “Frankenstein” on campus.

The culturally epochal monster, first introduced by the English author and playwright Mary Shelley in 1818, is coming to SU on Oct. 31 in a special event known as “Frankenreads.” The event, which runs from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., will be hosted at the edge of the Einhorn Family Walk, near Schine Student Center. In the case of bad weather, the reading will be moved inside the student center, said Mike Goode, an associate English professor and the event’s coordinator.

As part of a global effort consisting of 450 universities, museums and libraries, SU will participate in a public reading of the novel, “Frankenstein.” Goode, who has taught “Frankenstein,” initiated the event on campus. He said he doesn’t know what to expect with the reading, but he hopes it attracts passersby to hear one passage, at the very least.

“In terms of cultural impact, Frankenstein is one of the more significant texts of its era,” Goode said.

It was no mean feat, but Goode managed to fill 61 slots for volunteers to read passages for 10 minutes each. Readers include undergraduate and graduate students, professors, staff and even dean and associate deans from the College of Arts and Sciences, Goode said.  

Julia Leyden, a senior English and textual studies and magazine journalism dual major and the editor-in-chief of Perception magazine, is helping to coordinate the volunteer readings. Leyden first connected with Goode when she heard about “Frankenreads” and has since started to promote the event via emails, posters and a Google sign-up sheet.

“Everyone is really excited about ‘Frankenreads’ and we hope a good crowd gathers for it,” Leyden said. “Some may think it’s goofy, but mostly it’s a positive response.”

Professor Erin Mackie, chair of the English department at SU, is another volunteer who has taught the novel in class.

“I am happy to be a reader for ‘Frankenreads’ and to be a part of this outreach program by the English department,” Mackie said. “It just shows extended support by the university for the humanities, which is essential.”

Mackie said the administrative staff of the department will also be volunteering and she is most excited to see Dean Karin Ruhlandt and Associate Dean Gerry Greenberg participate as readers. Hosting the event is a celebration in and of itself, Mackie said.

“Frankenreads” is among a number of events organized as part of the 200th year anniversary celebrations by the National Endowment for the Humanities, which include film screenings and public readings, per the NEH’s event page.

Frankenstein continues to stand as a significant piece of literature from the early 19th century British romantic genre, Goode said. As part of his efforts as event coordinator, the “Frankenreads” public reading will begin and end with Goode’s narration.

“By 7 p.m., the event will most likely be ‘Frankenreads’ by flashlight,” Goode added — the perfect setting for Halloween night.