Former Believe in Syracuse executive director reflects on time spent at nonprofit

Ally Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

John DeSantis, the founder and executive director of Believe in Syracuse, has stepped down from the nonprofit. The organization aims to make Syracuse a more positive environment through community initiatives.

John DeSantis, a DeWitt native and Syracuse University alum, embraces all that Syracuse has to offer. As his friends from high school and college moved away from the city after graduation, DeSantis said he realized that not everyone shared a similar appreciation of Syracuse. 

“I really felt like people were missing an opportunity in connecting to what makes Syracuse a great place to live,” DeSantis said. 

DeSantis’ love for the city inspired him to create Believe in Syracuse, a nonprofit organization that helps people recognize the positive aspects of Syracuse. It works to improve the area for residents. After six years with the nonprofit, DeSantis has stepped down from his position as executive director. He plans to focus his time on earning a living and providing for his family.  

Throughout his tenure at Believe in Syracuse, the organization has earned an increasing amount of support among members of the local community. With more than 8,000 Instagram followers, 10,000 followers on Facebook and Twitter and a growing volunteer base, Believe in Syracuse continues to partner with area organizations to help spread positivity. 

Esther Zorn, president of the board of directors for the nonprofit, said Believe in Syracuse’s mission is to improve the quality of life for residents in the greater Syracuse area. The organization plays a critical role in engaging people within the community, Zorn said, by helping others find necessary resources through the available programs. 

Believe in Syracuse’s Community and Caring Initiative holds donation drives for various charities in Syracuse. Other programs include the BIS Book Swap, which helps provide sustainable access to books for people in the community.  

Along with supporting community events, Believe in Syracuse offers fellowships programs where college students can intern at the nonprofit. Audra Linsner, a senior advertising and citizenship and civic engagement major at Syracuse University, and assistant illustration editor at The Daily Orange, joined the fellowship and has worked directly with DeSantis.  

believe-in-syracuse-1

Anna Henderson | Digital Design Editor

While working with DeSantis, Linsner said he was always optimistic and upbeat, making the fellowship an enjoyable experience. She added that his positive attitude was evident in his projects. 

The organization has also assisted makeover projects in the city, including working to recover the polluted Onondaga Lake, helping local artists paint a mural on the West Side and helping to bring the famous Hotel Syracuse back to life, recently renamed the Marriott Syracuse Downtown. 

To honor the work of everyone involved with the organization, Believe in Syracuse hosts annual birthday parties. Last year’s celebration was held at the Landmark Theatre and celebrated the organization’s five years of success.  

“(To) see all of what makes Syracuse great, all of what makes Syracuse diverse and beautiful all come together for one big event like that was really exciting,” DeSantis said.  

DeSantis is currently working as a salesperson for local breweries and still aims to support the mission of Believe in Syracuse by supporting small businesses. Even though he has left the organization he founded, DeSantis said he will continue to help make Syracuse a better place.  

“Believe in Syracuse was never about me,” he said. “Believe in Syracuse is about the people of this community.”